Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Gardening Family

I was out in the yard with Alex yesterday afternoon. We started out playing baseball in the driveway and ended up digging up evil plants and small trees in my yard. My little man is so active. He'll do anything as long as he's outside. We played ball for about 45 minutes. Me pitching (big laugh) and Alex hitting it back. We played until Daddy went Bowling. Then we started playing in the garden.
I borrowed a shovel from my mom a few weeks ago. I started digging up those pesky little oaks that keep popping up and some other thing that seems to like to pop up all over the yard. Not sure what that is but, I don't like them. Anyway, Alex ran into the garage looking for his little shovel. After finding it, he came to help Mommy dig holes. I spent most of the time telling him not to dig up my good plants. It was a blast! This reminds me of gardening with my Daddy and much later my Father-In-Law.
When my family still lived in Bishopville, my Daddy turned the whole back yard into a garden. I thought that was the coolest thing. We had corn, watermelon, tomatoes, carrots, radishes, and a few other things I can't quite recall. I never ate the radishes but, I liked to help pick them. I remember one day in particular. Daddy and I had gone out to look at the veggies. He pulled off a ripe tomato, handed it to me, and said try it. I looked at him a little funny and thought "I can't eat a tomato right off the vine". Well, I tried it. Let me tell you, that was the best tomato that I had ever eaten up until that point. I already liked tomatoes. This started my love affair with that wonderful fruit! That leads me to my Father-In-Law, Dean.
After piddling with tomato plants over the past couple of years with no success. This year, I went with Dean to the Farmers Market and picked out 4 different tomato plants and a couple of cucumber plants. I was very ambitious. I had the best time! Dean made a box for me to plant a few of the plants. I put 3 of the tomato plants in hanging baskets. This year, I got several tomatoes and some cucumbers. I'm already planning my garden for next year.
Many thanks to the two men who gave me these wonderful memories and helping me do something that is relaxing and rewarding! I love you both!!

No comments:

Post a Comment